Short poem: Door to heaven

by Lord Anzius

Continue for the escape read the previous "chapter" of this poem:

As he huffed far away,

From his bill,

on the head man's hill,

He stretched his limbs,

and looked around.

Only now,

did he regret,

that he had killed,

the lad who hadn't even been bad,

Sad he looked around once more,

He saw a thing that stunned him even more!

A door,

A door on a cloud floor.

A pair of blue eyes looked at him,

Behind the curtains of heaven,

The creature came out,

The killer screamed aloud,

He soon recovered,

And soon discovered,

as he saw not the monster as he had expected,

but a small angel,

Awfully tired, not rested.

The angel told him that he was suspended from heaven,

He waved his hand in the air and asked why.

The angel looked at him sternly,

"Because of a murder that's why".

The man looked back sadly,

The killer said he was sorry,

Behind the angel some one said don't worry.

The killer looked who had spoke,

What he saw made him almost choke.

Behind the angle stood the lad who wasn't even bad.

Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:02 am
Monument Soul wrote a review...

This is cool...it tells me everthing I need to know...

I don't understand some of the details but I still like it...

I don't like nit-picking so look elsewhere

this is a rather interesting story....

I actually like the rhyming because it doesn't seem to be forced.

:?

why did this man kill the boy who wasn't even bad?
how did that happen...
how is that evev possible?

why is the killer in heaven at all.

I'd like some answers.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:03 pm
Katemabob wrote a review...

Um. I thought tis poem was okay.
You have good writing, but the poem itself just does not seem to flow too well. Um . . . here are some of the parts I found a little um... strange:
1. The 'bill' part at the beginning
2. I think that next time, you should not use the word: Thing. Instead, try: shadow, or figure.
3. For this part: "the lad who hadn't even been bad" I think that you should put the lad part and the bad part on different lines... and then make the lad part longer.
Actually you know what? I think everything has been said.
So, overall, all you need to do is fix up the flow and the wording and I think thats it. Good job! :D

Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:08 pm
wewinwelose wrote a review...

okay this is just my opinion and these arent my favorite kinds of poems so if i'm wrong i'm sorry

As he huffed far away,

From his bill, (what bill?)

on the head man's hill,

He stretched his limbs,

and looked around.

Only now,

did he regret,

that he had killed, (cuts off the rhyming pattern try changing around or now into something that shows more of a pattern in the rhythm and rhyming)

the lad who hadn't even been bad, (no offence but i HATE this line, the rhyming needs to be more spread out, try putting more information about the boy before puting "wasnt even bad"...enough for a couple of lines just to keep the rhyming pattern going)

Sad he looked around once more, (try again instead of more, because the next line ends with more too)

A door,

A door on a cloud floor. (i like these two lines they flow together nicely even though there are the rhymes so close together, you make them fit)

A pair of blue eyes looked at him,

Behind the curtains of heaven,

The creature came out,

The killer screamed aloud, (it seems like you were at a lack of anything that ryhmed with out....rhythm kinda cuts off)

He soon recovered,

And soon discovered, (i dont like this rhyme, seems too close together again, but that's just a personal opinion)

but a small angel,

Awfully tired, not rested. (tired and not rested are the same thing and it seems as though you're talking to a two year old and trying to teach vocabulary, try changing awfully tired to something like "amazingly beautiful but not at all rested"...that is if you want the angle to be protrayed as beautiful)

The angel told him that he was suspended from heaven, (try changing the word suspended it makes it sound like he's getting kicked out for a period of time)

The angel looked at him sternly,

"Because of a murder that's why". (i dont like the repeat of the word why, again just a personal opinion)

The man looked back sadly,

The killer said he was sorry,

Behind the angel some one said don't worry. (i like these last three lines they were put together well)

The killer looked who had spoke, (try "the killer looked TO SEE who had spoke)

What he saw made him almost choke. (choke and spoke go together nicely good job!)

Behind the angle stood the lad who wasn't even bad. (again lad and bad too close together)

Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:32 am

I didn't really like the imagery and alot of the meaning was a little scewed the rhymimng pattern was annoying after a while but oerall it was solid and u obviously have some talent so keep pressing

Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:20 am
Demeter wrote a review...

Moix. Huomasinpas nyt tämänkin sitten ja aattelin antaa rivjuun. :)

First off, when I was reading this, it felt like the narrator was in a hurry, and tried to explain everything as quickly as possible, and therefore couldn't keep any breaks in between, but instead said everything like it was a one, big sentence, and because of that, the atmosphere is like panting. See what I mean? I tried to demonstrate my meaning, because I know I'm not the best explainer in the world.

I also felt that the flow could be better. Like now there are lines that don't quite work with one another because they're of different length. It's not always bad, but now it bugged me a little. You could also use more imagery and make us imagine the things in our heads instead of shoving them down our throats. I hope I made myself clear again...

For example, let's take this line:

the lad who hadn't even been bad

I know that it's mostly because of the rhyming, but "bad" is just so a blank word, it doesn't really tell us anything. Could you say this in any other words, maybe? It's just an example, though.

The killer said he was sorry,

This is also another example of those blank words. "Sorry", "don't worry", they're so much in daily use that there's really nothing behind them anymore. Then again, I don't know enough about style yet, maybe it's all just part of it.

Well, I hope I was of any help. I still need to practice all this review thing. So... nähdään! :)

Demeter xxx

Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:39 pm
JujuMayuDreamer14 wrote a review...

I would say that this poem is okay but there is potential the poem was great but it could be better putting in the tought.
I like the idea which is true but I could say I liked it but I didnt.
There is lots of potential so keep on writing but think more
then write it on paper but this is great that is why everyone learns from mistakes.
I'd like to see more of your writing.
This type of topic should be more mature in the word writing.
I would apreciate if you could critique some of my poems.
Have a great Day!
Regards~JujuMayuDreamer14

Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:00 am
Meep(: wrote a review...

What he saw made him almost choke.

Maybe you want to move the words around in the first sentence,
To "What he saw almost made him choke"? Just a suggestion :)
Then "Behind the angle stood the..."
I always found that mistake funny :D

Its got potential, but you've got to use more powerful words
to give it more feeling.
Not rhyming for the sake of rhyming :)
Poems don't have to rhyme... unless you were going for that.
Nice! :D

Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:41 am
grimy89098 says...

nice (:
...
yes, that's all im gonna say
..
because everyone has said stuff i wanted to...
...
darn...

-grimy

Please don't swear unless it's in a literary work! Love, Poetry Crew.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:08 am
Lord Anzius says...

weeeel.. acctually this is the first draft.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:12 am
chichi wrote a review...

I didn't like this. The idea and all is okay, but the execution was... well, poor. Lots of the rhymes are forced. The rhymes sometimes don't make sense.

You need more imagery, more powerful words and go through it all again. It sounds like you've just done a first draft and posted it. This poem could be so much better.

Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:56 pm
esteria says...

hi i really like your style though there are parts of your poem i did not understand especially the beginning.

Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:42 am
Lord Anzius says...

with the fact that the lad "was not even bad" I wanted to tell you that the man had never done any wrong against any other person... with the bill (on the head man's hill) I want to emphasise that he was a murderer and that the bill would be his punishment for the murder (he was to be executed)

The thing that the lad came there to let him in meant that, the lad had forgiven him.

I'll work on it still abit so that it would be better... Thanks for the critt :D

Galerius wrote a review...

Lord Anzius wrote:As he huffed far away,
From his bill,
on the head man's hill,
He stretched his limbs,
and looked around.

his bill? what does that mean?

stretched his limbs and looked around is kinda bland. i couldn't picture this because there were no exciting, descriptive words to picture this with...

Only now,
did he regret,
that he had killed,
the lad who hadn't even been bad,
Sad he looked around once more,
He saw a thing that stunned him,
A door,
And a cloud floor.

no offense but it sounds like you chose the term "hadn't even been bad" to rhyme with lad. what does this have to do with the poem? does his badness matter?

ah, no, please never use "thing" in poetry, or short stories or...anything, really. thing is the most boring word in the universe unless its done absolutely right. which in your poem is not the case.

A pair of blue eyes looked at him,
Behind the curtains of heaven,
The creature came out,
The killer screamed aloud,
He soon recovered,
as he saw not the monster as he had expected.
but a small angel,

screamed aloud...soon recovered...this is utterly pointless. your describing his actions like his story belongs in a textbook. if his weird emotional rollercoaster is significant, then show don't tell.

also, i'm disappointed with how boring heaven is. can you at least spice it up? paint me a picture of paradise, of utter bliss where laughter echoes through the clouds of souls. or something.

He waved and asked why.

he...waved? i'm totally lost here. why wave?

The angel looked at him sternly,
The man looked back sadly,
The killer said he was sorry,
The killer looked who had spoke,
What he saw made him almost choke.

i dont get this. the angel refused to let him in heaven but then his own victim came and smiled at him and said he could enter. what's going on here? and why does that 'lad who wasnt even bad' so important that he makes decisions on who gets to heaven?

also, you never explained why the lad wasn't bad or even if that's important. if its not, cut it out.

in general...i couldnt really feel anything. better luck in revising it, i'd like to read it again sometime.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:21 am
SunshineOrange says...

Hm.

I didn't like this. I'm not sure why, I just didnt. I know this is not any help so I'm going to come back to it later and try and tell you why I didnt like it.

u.u''

Sorry.
Orange.

Tusker93 wrote a review...

Fellow wrote:are you intending to write a whole book in rhymes ? o.O Just asking.
like good old Dr. Seuss :lol:.

Liked this poem, hope you keep writing.

Reuben A says...

Quite frankly, I can't find anything to change in this poem. It's perfect! This time its you who earned a gold star from me.:wink:

JordanEmert says...

I liked this alot. =]

Fellow says...

are you intending to write a whole book in rhymes ? o.O Just asking.

I think that was when I began to realize that reputation isn't everything. I should focus less about how others perceive me and more about what makes me happy. Because, in the end, I have to live with myself.
— Seraphina